Tuesday, March 24, 2009

If I were President of the United States...

Here's what my friend's niece wrote (She's younger than 10 years-old):

If I were President of the United States I would give some money to poor people. I would make everyone even and fair by giving everyone houses and food. I would give kids things they need and don't have. I would bring the soldiers back from the war. I would fight with words and not guns.

I think most people reading this would say, "Aww, that's so cute!" While they are the precious words of an innocent child, it disturbs me how much liberal indoctrination goes on in schools and at such a young age.

What is the point of an exercise like this? Is this really an appropriate question to ask a little child?

Needless to say, the more I learn about the educational system in America, the more I am becoming a fan of the homeschooling program. I used to be extremely judgmental about homeschooling until I realized the smartest and best critical thinkers I knew were home schooled. Interesting. And they weren't socially awkward either, contrary to popular mythology.

Although I wouldn't waste their time with an exercise like this, I would want my future students to write something more along the lines of preserving "liberty and justice for all." (Where have I heard those words before?!)

Communism, (material) egalitarianism, and pacificism...this is not what our children should be taught to value. Especially before they can begin to grasp these ideologies, properly employ their reason and learn the truth about how these systems have, in historical reality, wrought the worst injustice and violence--not to mention the quenching of the unquenchable human spirit.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin